Information and Resources
This Natural Resources Defense Council report describes the environmental and public health impacts of pollution generated by factory farms. Includes activist contacts and resources.
From the Virginia Cooperative Extension, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. (July 1996)
Provides state legislative information along with documents related to state and local government. (Washburn University School of Law)
Links for each state, with current information about farm size, financial status, rural employment, land use, and more. (USDA)
State and Local Government
- County Links for Virginia
- Virginia Air Quality Division
- Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (ACS)
- Virginia ACS Agricultural Stewardship
- Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation: Soil and Water Conservation Programs
- Virginia DCS Soil and Water Conservation Programs: Best Management Practices
- Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
- Virginia Department of Natural Resources
- Virginia Department of Health
- Virginia Ground Water Protection Steering Committee – An advisory committee formed to stimulate, strengthen, and coordinate groundwater protection activities in Virginia.
SELC is one of the nation’s leading organizations working to bring industrial hog and poultry factory farms under strong environmental and public health controls.
VPDES Permit Regulations for CAFOs
General Permits for CAFOs
Information about water quality regulations and permits from the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.